Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us via email.

If you have a question, wish to check availability or want to confirm your reservation, please let us know by sending us an email.

If you need to speak on the telephone, please call 403.703.5977.

We will be only too happy to assist!

Hope to hear from you soon,
Sandcastle at South Beach Team!

Ocean View Lane
Lund, BC, V0N 2G0
Canada

403.703.5977

Sandcastle at South Beach is one of the most modern and environmentally friendly vacation rental apartment developments on Savary Island.  It was completed in 2013 but only started to be used for vacation rental in mid-2014.

Built to the highest standards of environmental friendliness, Sandcastle at South Beach is fully solar-powered, has it own fresh water well, is fully insulated for those hot summer days (and cool winter ones as well) and includes all of the amenities you have come to expect in modern sea-side vacation properties.

Savary Island

In the rainshadow of Vancouver Island, Savary Island receives between 950 and 1,300 mm of precipitation annually, with maximum amounts in late fall through mid-winter. No permanent streams exist on the island, but at least one spring may be found mid-island called Indian Springs. The dry warm summers and erodible soils condition distinctive ecologic settings and surface processes (including wind erosion and deposition). In addition, storm waves, which are predominantly from the southeast, have important erosion and sediment transport effects along the south shore of Savary. It is this unique combination of "ecologic settings", "surface processes" and "transport effects" which gives rise to the wonderful beaches of Savary Island.

Sometime after the end of the glaciers, first nations peoples arrived in the region. Archaeological evidence documents the occupation by Coast Salish peoples in this area of the Strait of Georgia for 4,000 years. They gave the island the name "Áyhus", meaning 'double-headed serpent'. The island was within the territory of the Tla'amin (Sliammon) first nation. Shell middens (including a midden near Indian Springs), a former camp or village site by a small bay, a signal site atop the high south-southwesterly crest of the island, and ancestral remains reflect life in the pre-contact era.

It is possible that European ships were in the vicinity of the island in the mid-18th century. Tla'amin (Sliammon) first nation oral history records the destruction and sinking of a “trading” ship (well known for pirating) in their traditional territory in that period. In 1791 José María Narváez commanded a small schooner, the Santa Saturnina, on an expedition to chart the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Strait of Georgia. He reached Jervis Inlet and was able to determine that Texada Island was in fact an island. In the distance to the north he saw a couple points of higher land, one probably Cape Mudge on Quadra Island, and another to the east, of unclear identity. In June 1792, the Spanish ships Sutil and Mexicana, under Galiano, and the British ships Discovery and Chatham, under Vancouver sailed by the island on their way to Desolation Sound. On or about June 25, 1792, Vancouver gave the name "Savary's Island". In early July a boat survey team led by Peter Puget and Joseph Whidbey charted Savary Island and spent at least one night on shore, meeting a group of indigenous people at the island's eastern end. Puget did not refer to the island as Savary, instead simply calling it "Indian Island".[3]

Permanent European settlement on the island did not begin until well into the 19th century. In the 1870s, the government subdivided the island into lots for homesteading.

Jack Green, the first non-aboriginal permanent resident, was an early settler who built a cabin and store in or about 1886. Green Point (now known as Mace Point) was named for him. In or about 1893, Green and his friend and business partner, Taylor, were murdered on Savary Island, during a store robbery. Strangely, the events of the robbery and murder mirror the robbery by the Flying Dutchman in Union Bay. Green's murderer, Hugh Lynn of the Lynn Valley clan, was eventually captured in a multi-thousand mile, multinational chase and sent to the gallows.

By the turn of the 20th century, CPR coastal ships and Union Steamships called in, popularizing the place. Savary Island has always been a popular island for clamming and swimming owing to the sandy beaches.

A government wharf was built near Green Point, close to Dinner Rock and Lund. In 1910, Savary Island was subdivided into over 1400 lots. Savary Island subsequently became a favourite summer cabin location. Further subdivision resulted in a total of over 1700 (mostly 50 foot) lots on Savary. Roads were built and cabins established.

The first hotel seems to have been "The Savary", built in 1914, near the Government Wharf. This hotel remained in operation until 1932 when it was destroyed in a fire. At the other end of the island, the Ashworth family built the Royal Savary Hotel at Indian Point.

Gradually, private boats and water taxis from Lund provided the most common access to the island. The steamship services ended in the 1940s (Union Steamships) and 1950s (Gulf Steamship Line).

For a brief time an airstrip was operating on the island, but it was later closed due to safety concerns. The main air access to Savary Island has been by seaplane and boats that come from Lund, a nearby town. In the summers, many island commuters from away come and go on seaplanes, especially on Friday and Sunday evening flights.

(Text courtesy of Wikipedia)